Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Thankfulness Project: Day 6

I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude.  We are for the most part more lonely when we go abroad among men than when we stay in our chambers.
-Henry David Thoreau

I am thankful for solitude.  Those quiet moments alone when I can breath deeply and let the cares of the world around me melt away.  When I can relax and recharge.

Those times that I am all alone and I can simply be.  I had the blessing of living completely by myself for a while in college.  My apartment became my safe haven in those days.  It is a time I still treasure. 

These days it's found in the mornings when Johnie leaves for work early or the evenings when he works late.  It's in the drives I take by myself sometimes.  Nights when one of us is away from the other.  Or, because my husband is an introvert who understands, when I have just simply had enough of people and am drained and empty and just need to be by myself.

As I said yesterday, I am thankful for friends and community and support and the love and conversation and fun times with others.  But I am also thankful for those sweet, sweet moments spent in solitude and silence.  That is when I find myself, my thoughts, my will to face the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment