Sunday, November 17, 2013

Thankfulness Project: Day 17

The sound of laughter has always seemed to me the most civilized music in the universe.
-Peter Ustinov

As always... well, almost always, I was thankful for a lot of things today.

By the time I made it back home and to an internet connection tonight, I was drained and tired and ready for bed.  Not for writing.

I began reading about thankfulness and thinking about what I would write about when out of the corner of my eye I saw my brother come down the hall. 

I was excited for him to come home with me because he and I share -- among many things -- a love for Christmas and Christmas decorations.  He hadn't seen this year's décor yet.  Including a sprig of mistletoe.

We never hung mistletoe growing up, but it has become a fun tradition for Johnie and me.  He is always finding clever ways for us to meet under it.

I was in the kitchen the morning after we put it up this year when I heard Johnie ask, "While I'm in the shower, will you pick out a sweater for me to wear today?"

I turned to head to the bedroom but he remained standing in the hall.  I waited for him to move, but he didn't.  I stepped to the side and he did too.  I stepped to the other side and then I realized why he was acting so strange: "Oh, look.  You just happen to be standing under the mistletoe.  I guess I'll have to kiss you."

Tonight, I saw my brother slow his steps as he neared the end of the hall.  That got my full attention.  And then I watched as he turned and pressed his back against the wall, sliding against it for the last two steps.  All while looking at our mistletoe.  He was taking no chances getting caught under there with only Johnie or me as options for kissing.

And then there was laughter.  Loud and long laughter.  The kind that works better than any other kind of medicine.

I thought about all the other times I've laughed today.  With Johnie.  With church family.  With my mom and the rest of my family.  And with one of my favorite people to laugh with: Bubby. 

I love laughter.  I always have.  It is the most beautiful sound I've ever heard.  And I'm glad it was in the soundtrack of today.

No comments:

Post a Comment