Saturday, November 2, 2013

Thankfulness Project: Day 2

Today I am thankful for grace.  I need it over and over every day.  In big ways and little ones. 

I spent today somewhat leisurely. A long shower, a museum visit with my little brother, a quick nap, then some therapeutic cooking.  And looking forward to the righting of a wrong in my life: The end of Daylight Savings Time.

I thought all day about what I would write about.  Trying to decide which thing to pick in a long list of sweet blessings I found myself especially grateful for today.

And then somehow the evening hours vanish as they sometimes do.  With a clean kitchen, I nestled under the covers in my bed on the verge of sleep, and then remembered.  The second day in and I have already fumbled the thankfulness project.

So I am thankful for grace.  It covers over the miniscule mistakes like this and also the ones that would be the death of me.  But I rest in grace that covers over all my wrongs and can dream of a blissful eternity tonight.

Grace, what have you done?
Murdered for me on that cross.
Accused in absence of wrong,
My sin washed away in your blood.

Too much to make sense of it all.
I know that your love breaks my fall.
The scandal of grace, you died in my place
So my soul will live.

Oh, to be like you.
I give all I have just to know you.
Jesus, there's no one besides you. 
Forever the hope in my heart.

Death, where is your sting?
Your power is as dead as my sin.
The cross has taught me to live
In mercy, my heart now to sing.

The day and its trouble shall come.
I know that your strength is enough.
The scandal of grace, you died in my place
So my soul will live.

Matt Crocker and Joel Houston (songwriters), performed by Hillsong United, Scandal of Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment