Sunday, November 10, 2013

Thankfulness Project: Day 10

Jesus loves me -- loves me still.
Though I'm very weak and ill;
From His shining throne on high,
Comes to watch me where I lie.
-Anna Bartlett Warner

In his distinct tenor those were the words my pop sang tonight. And I was just thankful to be there to hear.  There is something sweet and humbling and absolutely awe-inspiring to hear those words from an 81-year-old man who just a few months ago was still climbing up on roofs.  Today he can hardly even stand.

And yet he closes his eyes and sings praises to His Lord and you know you're a part of something special.  Wonderful, meaningful worship of the Creator by his beloved son.  In spite of his circumstances.

My pop isn't perfect, but he has been a blessing in my life.  A God-send for sure.  He was the anchor in my childhood.  He set me up on a firm foundation.  For me, he was base.  'I'm thankful' doesn't seem like enough, but I am.

And I'm thankful for music and songs and instruments that somehow communicate the things we can't.  That give us a platform to celebrate and to mourn.  To worship and to pray.  For pleasure and pain.  For triumph and trial.  To give our life a melody at the end of each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment