Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Thankfulness Project: Day 12

The first fall of snow is not only an event, it is a magical event.  You go to bed in one kind of world and wake up in another quite different, and if this is not enchantment then where is it to be found?
-J.B. Priestley


Frankfort, KY. Circa 2012.  I didn't get any pictures of today's snow here.
I heard the prediction yesterday afternoon for snow.  I scrutinized the forecast.  No accumulation, really.  It is still early and temperatures haven't been cold enough.  I couldn't help but hope for snow.  I couldn't help but brace for disappointment. 

Groggy in the middle of the night I checked the time.  1:55.  I rolled over to find sleep again but then remembered the hourly forecast.  Flakes could be falling.  I grabbed my glasses and made my way to the big window in the living room.  My glance from the kitchen gave me no sight of snow but I was still hopeful.  I pulled the curtain aside and focused.  No snow.  I looked up at the street light.  No snow.  It would probably be a bust like so many weather forecasts are.

Back to bed until the alarm went off.  I asked for snooze but then remembered the hope for snow.  Out of bed twenty minutes earlier than normal I headed back down the hallway toward the big window again.  Before I could make it I saw from the kitchen: Snow!  A respectable amount for November 12th.  It covered over the ground and the leaves. 

Much to my husband's dismay, I think, giddy squeels ensued.  Snow!  Snow!  It snowed!

I love the snow.  In the barrenness of winter, it covers over all the lifeless trees and land with sparkling, perfect white.  In bone-chilling cold, it reflects the sun brightly through the windows and warms the soul. 

Today I am thankful for snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment